Saturday, January 30, 2016

VIII. Hope Center opens - Yogi Kitchen: Lesvos, Greece

Aloha! Emotions of joy are bursting from my heart in these moments.

We woke up to a warmer day and calm seas. I expected to see boats scattered through the ocean. Instead, I watched Greek Military ships move up and down the invisible boundary, displaying their arms to Turkey and Lesvos. Since no calls were coming in on the radio and many lifeguards were at their post, I decided to take the opportunity to get a flat tire fixed at a local mechanic.

Victory was mine as I drove towards the Hope Center on four full tires! I was surprised to arrive with an unusual hustle in the air, and Anais setting tables with food and tea on them. "What is happening?!"

The ferry went on a planned strike this weekend, not running any boats. Therefore, there is an overload at the refugee camp, Moria, and the "powers at be" asked the Hope Center to receive 100+ refugees for a night or two; hence the unusual pace of things!

I jumped into the mix, helping Anais prepare the living room with an array of treats and teas; I wanted something more to offer then - that is when my favorite yogi meal: Mung Beans and Rice popped in my head.

I found Phillipa (she and her husband leased the Hope Center) and Cookie, and offered my service to cook a yogi meal. They took to the idea well, asking where we would get Mung beans - Lentils will do for now! Within minutes, I had a team of chefs who were willing to help chop veggies and follow my lead.

I fetched a set of massive pots, put in an order at the grocery store, got the water boiling, and off we were rolling. Green Lentils, Rice, cabbage, carrots, potatoes, onions, garlic, zucchini, and spices - quite a step up from white bread and a slice of cheese! With the help of an amazing team, we were able to provide hot, delicious and nutritious food to 100+ people within a couple of hours.

The refugees walked into our living room warmed by the fire, full with hot tea and food, and many smiles. After serving food, Anais made rounds around the room to give mothers warm water for baby formula. Children laughed as they played on our carpet with donated stuffed animals. Some children played with balls, and other found it funny to play tricks on the volunteers.

With the help of bilingual refugees, we let them know our current situation, giving them free reign of the hotel - families are given priority to change first in rooms, and everyone will have space and a sleeping bag to sleep with (we need beds asap!).  We ate and chatted with the refugees, learning some of their stories. One man told me he left Afghanistan 7 years ago to get away from the Taliban, traveling though Iran and Turkey to get here. He made a gesture that if he was to go back to Afghanistan he would be killed. Others came from Iraq and Syria with similar stories.

In between cooking and cleaning, I was able to pick up my Ukulele and strum a few chords. Many ears perked up, and before you know it, I was full on jamming. An Irish man, Nigel, picked up an empty bin and began drumming, Anais with her angelic voice and a shaker, and we were making music. A Hawaiian track and Om Namah Shivaya left the refugees with a big smiles on their faces and a buzz in my heart.

I put in my order for the breakfast - oats, raisins, apples, bananas, cinnamon. I am looking forward to rising bright and early to make a massive pot of delicious food for a group of amazing individuals.








Thank you to all the supporters that have helped Anais and I get out here. Sat Nam Foundation is sponsoring us to be out here, and to provide the refugees with the care they need. Please support us at: http://satnamfoundation.org/index.php/campaign/lesbos/

No comments:

Post a Comment