Tuesday, February 2, 2016

X-XI - Sharing the Language of the Heart in Refugee Camp - Lesvos, Greece

I did not dare to write a blog yesterday, as it was quite a disheartening day. The police came to the Hope Center and shut it down indefinitely. There are many laws around helping illegal immigrants, and Greece is under pressure from the EU to enforce them. On top of this, the coast guard launched a pilot program to intercept all refugee boats on the water, bring them aboard military vessels, and drive them straight to Mytilene (the other side of the island). Therefore, yesterday shook many people up, tears were shed, and many volunteers are left with bamboozlement as what is going to happen next.

Today, we decided to go to Moria (yes, the same name as the Dwarf underworld inhabited by the demon that Gandalf fights) - the main camp for the refugees. It is about an hour drive to the other side of the island through beautiful olive groves, mountains, and herds of sheep.


As we approached we began to see the barbed wire above the massive concrete walls. Moria used to be a prison, now it has been transformed as the main registration camp for refugees. Families in distress are first priority to get accommodation, and then it filters down from there. There is an overflow camp outside of the jail walls with tents, porto potties, and volunteers. As of now, only certain people with the right badges are allowed inside the jail walls.


We found a parking spot on the muddy banks of the road. We had 11 pounds or so of mandarines to share, although I was skeptical of bringing them in - as we have heard it was "illegal" to give food in certain circumstances. I saw a brother, Daniel, walking towards the overflow camp, and grabbed his attention. We struck a conversation, and next thing you know, he is showing us around the camp and how things are done.


Daniel offered us a few options for volunteering: serving sugar tea, cleaning, etc. Looking around, it seemed that the vibe was pretty low - so I asked if it was acceptable for me to play music. He replied, "Absolutely. Most of the time I come to volunteer I spend my time with the people, helping them take their minds off the current situation." On that note, Anais and I scurried back to the car for the Ukulele and mandarines.


It took about 3 seconds for many eyes to find me as I plucked the first strings of the Uke. I was welcomed by a group from Syria on their blanket, and started jamming. Anais played the shaker and sang with me as we shared many different sacred chants and mantras. If I slowed down, or took a rest, someone would encourage me to continue! Wah! It was so good, the energy became very high, very fast.
Video: https://youtu.be/j-4R4aeaMf8



Kids started dancing, smiles exposed teeth to the afternoon sun, and a crowd of 30+ people constantly lingered around our magic blanket. Then, we played the game: pass the Ukulele. Many folks wanted to get their hands on my well traveled Ukulele - and so it began. I did my best to teach them basic strumming, picking and a couple basic chords. We passed hours on the blanket sharing our hearts.

And then, the gang from Iraq came by, smoking cigarets and walking with swag. A grizzly fellow came from behind me and put his fingers through the curls of my hair and then beckoned for the Ukulele. With his rough fingers he began to drum on the wood body. Oye! Be gentle brother, please! When he passed the Ukulele to a slimmer dude, my heart raced, this guy was full of life and passion - and he began to sing in Arabic.




His voice brought silence to the crowd and cut through the air. It opened a whole new space, where others felt invited to share their song. An older man joined in, a young boy jumped on the rattle, and a woman strummed the ukulele. We traded song, back and forth, until we were full to the brim and exhausted!

 Video Anais recorded - https://youtu.be/clkNQSK-6n0
When I returned home, I received a message from a refugee from Afghanistan that I met the other day. He wrote to me, "we will never forget that day and u." In these days I have witnessed the power of sharing music with an open heart.


Guru Nanak is a hero of mine who spread the truth through song and prayer. Inspiration has reached an all time high for me to create and share music with everyone.

Peace, Love, Wahe Guru!



Thank you to all the supporters that have helped Anais and I get out here. Sat Nam Foundation is sponsoring us to be out here, and to provide the refugees with the care they need. All donations we receive at this point will go directly to providing the refugees with healthy food.  http://satnamfoundation.org/index.php/campaign/lesbos/

No comments:

Post a Comment