Thursday, February 11, 2016

XV. Surfing the Seas ~ Preparing for Rescue Ops.

A wild past few days - how everything shifts like the wind on this island!?

The sad news: our three puppies we were taking care of left - luckily it was with a nice local woman who rescues local pups that are abandoned. I spoiled them as much as possible before they left, with raw beef bones and cooked chicken liver with rice and veggies! We know they are being taken care of; we still miss them!

On a fun note, the Hope Center has quite a history of housing Refugees. Many years ago, when the Elpis Hotel was just getting started, refugees from Somalia made their way across the Aegean sea to Lesvos, and the Elpis (Hope center) opened their doors for the refugees. We feel it is only appropriate to keep with tradition, and have an open door policy for all those in need.

For those familiar with "Pandora's box," when it was open, all the burdens and toils of men were spilled out. Meanwhile, the spirit of hope, Elpis, stayed in the box. Here on Lesvos, we live and breath Hope...for peace.

Refugees walking from the pier to the bus in the rain
The other day, I managed to hook up with the Hellas lifeguards and join in on their rescue boat training. We practiced knots and basic rope rescue techniques. Preparing to launch their new rescue boat. Their Captain, Giannis, is naval experienced and runs a tight ship - he is experienced and works fast. As I step on the boat and have rope in my hands, things begin to feel very real to me.

I take a hike in the mountains after training, and the power of Poseidon runs through my veins. I watch as the massive ships of Frontex and Coast guard patrol the waters, helping boats and while the Turkish turn others back. Mother Gaia fills my being with strength as Father sun charges my heart with compassion - change is in the air.

Yesterday the seas were stormy - by God's Grace, I connected with an Irish team, Refugee Rescue, who just received a large donation and bought a rescue boat. They are looking for more crew, and I fit the bill! I made my way to the local meeting point, Captain's Table, for a sit down with Jude, the founder and organizer.
Map used by rescue teams -
Lesvos on left - Turkey on right

I paced back and forth on the docks, watching the waves crash with the winds; glancing side to side hoping to find Jude. A sea-weathered man, Charlie, took notice of me and asked, "are you on a boat?" I explained my situation, and he replied that he is an experienced sailer from Sweden without a boat to Captain. We exchanged smiles and phone numbers, and he walked into the warm restaurant for dinner.

As Jude approached, I could hear the millions of thoughts buzzing through her head: an agenda list that seems never ending. She spoke calm and friendly. We chatted about my background and the mission of the team; She explained the team needed more crew to up and running 24/7, as she expects more refugees to begin crossing any day. I called on Charlie, and he joined our conversation. Things went well, and Jude invited us to join the team the following day.

Today I met with Ben, Ritchie, Giannis, Mike, and Charlie at the Petra docks. We needed to pull the boat out of the water to check on a leak. With many eyes on the boat, we discovered the problem: a few missing screws. I ran to the hardware store, and within a couple of hours we fixed the small leak in the boat and had her in the water.

Mo Chara Rescue Boat!
The whole crew is super friendly - Ben and Ritchie are both UK lifeguards. They are surfers and seem pretty mellow and easy to get along with. Mike is from Northern Ireland - a country I long to visit. There is a sparkle in his eye that brings joy to my being. The crew seemed to gel quickly, which is important when you are making life altering decisions together.

Tomorrow I meet with the crew at 9 am in Skala...My head is buzzing a million miles per hour! I am stoked to have found a team that I can work with.




Meanwhile, NATO is sending warships to the Aegean sea to "stop smugglers" from bringing refugees to Greece. Could it be a coincidence that Saudi Arabia decided to send in foot soldiers into Syria today? Only time will tell!

I will continue to update his blog as things unfold - Thank you for sharing this experience and showing your support.

Salutation! Wahe Guru! Love and Light!

Thank you to all the supporters that have helped Anais and I get out here. Sat Nam Foundation is sponsoring us to be out here, and to provide the refugees with the care they need. Please support us at: http://satnamfoundation.org/index.php/campaign/lesbos/


2 Articles on NATO ships coming this way:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/nato-orders-fleet-to-deploy-in-aegean-sea-to-help-end-europes-refugee-crisis-a6867076.html

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-35549478



No comments:

Post a Comment